My neighbour keeps blocking up my driveway and I need ambulance access – what can I do to stop it?

BLOCKED driveways can be a common cause of neighbour disputes but what can you do to stop it?

Here are your rights and when you need to complain to the police or your local council if your neighbour keeps blocking your driveway.

It can be frustrating when someone blocks your driveway, especially if it is a neighbour doing it regularly.

Neighbours have been known to fall out on a regular basis over driveway issues.

But while The Highway Code has plenty of tough rules and fines for where and how you park on public roads, the rules and laws are a little blurry about blocking private driveways.

In some cases it may be a civil matter that the police may avoid and tell you to contact the council.

There may be some situations where your driveway can be blocked, such as if there is a designated space outside your property and a raised kerb.

Guidance from comparison website said: "Strictly speaking, it’s not always technically illegal to park in front of a driveway.

Most read in News Money


I'm an ex-Greggs worker – here's what it's REALLY like behind the counter


Families could get council tax rebates worth hundreds to help with fuel bill rises


Hard-up families can apply for free £570 voucher to pay for food and bills


I'm a savings expert and here's how big your rainy day fund really needs to be

"However, parking over a dropped kerb is illegal and is a type of parking offence that is handled by councils.

"So, let’s say there’s a dropped kerb on the road running alongside your driveway, and someone is parked over it.

"Local councils can issue a penalty charge notice (PCN) against the owner of the vehicle parked there."

Police suggest discussing issues with your neighbour first.

The Metropolitan Police advise: "If someone has blocked your driveway so you can’t drive in, we appreciate this can be very frustrating.

"If you can find the owner of the vehicle, we’d first recommend asking them politely to move it. If you can’t find them, try leaving a note on their windscreen. After all, they may not realise they have caused a problem."

Officers suggest contacting your local council or if this doesn't work you can report anti-social behaviour online.

DAS Law suggests you could take civil legal action against a neighbour if the problem continues but this would cost money as you would need to pay solicitor and court fees.

DAS Law said: "Another option is to pursue a legal claim for nuisance on the grounds that the driver is interfering with your use and enjoyment of your property – but to do so you’d need to know the identity of the offending vehicle’s owner."

The Met said it can become a police matter if a car prevents emergency vehicles from accessing an area.

This can be reported to your local police force either online or on the phone via 101 and it would be up to them to investigate.

Find out your rights if someone else parks on your driveway.

The RAC says homeowners should not be tempted to take the law into their own hands, but try to speak to the owner of the car calmly.

The police advise against hiring a tow truck or clamping the vehicle, as this could be a criminal offence.

Here is how you can report illegal parking.

    Source: Read Full Article

    Previous post Police launch desperate hunt for girl, 13,
    Next post How to save thousands on your holiday abroad this year as travel expected to boom