JEREMY Hunt has announced three huge changes to Universal Credit and benefits.

The Chancellor revealed the changes in his Autumn Statement today.

More than 600,000 people on Universal Credit will be asked to work with a work coach.

The government is also moving back the managed transition of people from employment and support allowance on to Universal Credit to 2028.

An extra £280 million is also being invested to "crackdown" on benefit fraud and error over the next two years.

The Chancellor also confirmed that the government will uprate benefits by inflation with an increase of 10.1%


Tax rises for millions confirmed by Jeremy Hunt in Autumn Statement

Extra cash for green grants to help cut energy bills announced by Hunt

It'll boost the payments for the average family on Universal Credit by £600 a year.

Mr Hunt said he hopes the changes will help people already working to raise their incomes and become financially independent.

Speaking in the Commons, he said said: "We will ask over 600,000 more people on Universal Credit to meet with a work coach so that they can get the support they need to increase their hours or earnings.

"I have also decided to move back the managed transition of people from Employment and Support Allowance onto Universal Credit to 2028.

"And will invest an extra £280m in DWP to crack down on benefit fraud and error over the next two years.

"The Government’s review of the state pension age will be published in early 2023."

It is estimated around 2.6million people are still on old-style benefits.

Managed Migration – the process of moving people over to Universal Credit – began in May 2019.

How to get help

If you're struggling with the cost of living crisis, here are some more ways to get help:

Council tax discount

Universal Credit claimants could get help with their council tax bills – and in some cases you could get a 100% discount.

Each council runs its own reduction scheme so how much your discount is worth depends on where you live.

Your circumstances will also have an effect on your discount, such as your earnings, households income, number of children you have and how many people live with you.

Your residency status and what benefits you're entitled to will also have an impact.

Household Support Fund

Extra cash totalling £421m has been handed to councils to give out to struggling families.

The Household Support Fund previously included vouchers to spend in the supermarket and for buying kids clothes in one area and £100 cash in another.

The help you can get depends on your location and your circumstances.

You can find your local council using this tool and searching your postcode to see what help is available near you.

Cash for paying rent

There's cash help for anyone struggling that's available from your local council through the discretionary housing payment.

Anyone claiming Housing Benefit or the Housing Element of Universal Credit could be eligible if they are struggling with rent costs.

Each local authority dishes out the cash to those in need on a case-by-case basis and the amounts available can vary.

Here's everything you need to know about who can get the cash and how to claim.

Water bills help

Some water companies offer bill help if you're on a low income, or debt write-off schemes if you're in arrears.

What you can get depends on your water company so you'll need to contact them directly.

For instance one woman on Universal Credit slashed her bill by £600 a year thanks to a fund from Severn Trent water.

Many water companies also offer free water-saving devices that shave pounds off your bills.

Contact your supplier. Freebies include shower timers and buffalo bags, which save water with every flush. Check out

Read More on The Sun

I use bags of rubble to stop neighbours taking my parking space – they hate it

Oodie fans scramble to get their hands on new outdoor hooded blanket

Large families on Universal Credit or other benefits may be eligible for a cap on their bills under the WaterSure scheme.

To qualify for the scheme you need to already have a water meter installed, and prove you need to use a lot of water.

Source: Read Full Article