The easiest dinner yet: Why these mouthwatering slow cooked doner kebabs are the foodie trend everyone is obsessed with heading into 2023
- Aussie foodies are obsessed with the slow cooker kebabs trending on TikTok
- The decadent dish uses few ingredients and is an easy, low effort family meal
- Food lovers say the recipe is a healthy and simple alternative to a takeaway
- Spiced meat is cooked for up to six hours and added to pita bread with toppings
Australian foodies are raving about a simple slow cooker doner kebab recipe that has been dubbed the ‘ultimate fakeaway’.
The decadent dish is popular with busy families as it can be prepared in under a half hour and is ready when everyone arrives home for dinner.
Health conscious food lovers also love the recipe because it has a short list of healthy ingredients yet satisfies takeaway cravings.
Australian foodies are raving about simple slow cooker doner kebab recipe that have been dubbed the ‘ultimate fakeaway’
The meal is ideal for midweek dinners as it can be prepared in advance and only includes a short list of ingredients and fillings
The recipe has been doing the rounds on popular cooking Facebook groups such as Slow Cooker Recipes & Tips and Budget Friendly Meals Australia.
To make the slow cooker meal, home cooks have been mixing a selection of herbs and spices with minced lamb meat and combining them together to form a loaf shape.
They then wrap the loaf in baking paper or foil and place it in the slow cooker to cook on low for five to six hours or on high for three to four – times will vary depending on the appliance.
Once the meat has cooked through, it is removed from the slow cooker and left to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
To serve the kebab, thinly slice the meat and put it in pita bread filled with lettuce, tomato, red onion, cheese and your choice of sauce – tzatziki goes well with lamb.
Foodies say that when the dish is served up with all the toppings it tastes ‘just like the real thing’.
The meat can also be cooked in the oven or grilled on a stove top – though it may taste slightly different compared to the slow-cooked style
How to make slow cooked lamb kebabs
1kg lamb mince
2 teaspoons mixed herbs
3 teaspoons onion salt
3 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1. Mix lamb mince and all above ingredients very very very well together
2. Form into a loaf shape.
3. Wrap in baking paper or foil (optional)
4. Place directly in slow cooker(no liquid needed)
5. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 3-4 hours (depending on your slow cooker)
6. When cooked, let rest for 10-15 mins.
Serve with lettuce, tomato, red onion, cheese and sauce of your choice (we like tzatziki with lamb)
Roll up in Lebanese bread, put in sandwich press to crisp up the bread and melt the cheese.
Source: Slow Cooker Recipes & Tips
One woman tried out the recipe as a healthy alternative to a takeaway for her husband as he underwent chemotherapy.
‘My husband had chemotherapy eight weeks ago and can not have real takeaway. So I never would have thought to make him fake away until I joined this page. He absolutely loved it! I do not have a slow cooker but did the same lamb recipe in our oven,’ she said.
Many home chefs have said they are left with ‘heaps’ of leftovers after making the dish, so it’s a great way to meal prep for lunches during the week.
We had heaps of doner kebab meat left over for lunch the next day 🤤
‘This is a great recipe. Whole house smells like a real kebab shop when cooking. Especially with the lamb mince,’ one man said.
‘I’m making tomorrow night can’t wait! Kids requested yet again! Yay!’ a mum commented.
‘Slow cooker recipe is the best and the kid’s no longer want the shop takeaway ones, another commented.
‘It’s so much tastier and healthier, we love it,’ another agreed.
What other TikTok foods were trending in 2022?
1. Cloud bread – this gluten-free and low-carb recipe is the most viewed viral food trend of all time.
2. Baked oats – the convenience of this dish has garnered it two billion views, you only need to combine oats, milk, mashed banana, and your choice of toppings to make it.
3. Charcuterie boards – the new way to display your food has fascinated TikTok users and influenced them to try their own, you can now also find new trends like butter boards and Nutella boards.
4. Pasta chips – this delicious trend makes pasta shapes crisp and crunchy, with many users adding seasoning twists to their dishes – from chilli to cream cheese dip.
5. Mug cake – this cake can be made in five minutes at home using any flavour combination.
Source: Read Full Article