YoungBoy Never Broke Again is expected to walk out of a Louisiana jail Tuesday afternoon on his way to house arrest in Utah. Federal prosecutors on his pending California gun case agreed to the terms of the $1.5 million bail and home detention ordered in his separate Baton Rouge gun case by a federal judge last week.
“I’m really, really happy for him,” defense lawyer Drew Findling told Rolling Stone after the Tuesday hearing in Baton Rouge. “This is the right result. It’s the fair result.”
YoungBoy, whose legal name is Kentrell Gaulden, was granted the $1.5 million bail with strict house arrest that includes a GPS monitor after a three-day hearing last week in his Louisiana gun case.
NBA YoungBoy Granted Bail and House Arrest in Louisiana Gun Case
Meek Mill Reaches New Peak on Artists 500 as Drake Holds at Number One
Muhammad Ali: 4 Ways He Changed America
50 Best Action Movies of All Time
The judge made the ruling from the bench on Friday, but Gaulden remained in custody over the weekend because he was still the subject of a hold in California related to the firearm found in the back of a car when he was arrested on the Louisiana warrant in Los Angeles in March.
When Gaulden appeared before a U.S. Magistrate Judge in Baton Rouge on Tuesday, federal prosecutors said they consulted with their colleagues in the Central District of California and learned they would not be seeking pre-trial detention, Findling said.
Gaulden was expected to post the first $500,000 of his bail Tuesday and be released under the strict terms of his bond agreement in a matter of hours, Findling said.
“I’m extremely overwhelmed with gratitude at the result of last week’s hearing and think this was the just decision,” he said.
The Baton Rouge-bred hip hop prodigy attended last week’s hearings in custody as his lawyers pleaded for his release under an elaborate plan that involved Gaulden moving to his residence in Layton, Utah, and paying a private security firm staffed with ex-military to enforce his home detention.
The lawyers brought in a woman named Kyrie Oliver who testified that she met YoungBoy while working at a Baton Rouge school and struck up a mentoring relationship with him. Oliver told the court that if it granted YoungBoy bond, she would assist in keeping an eye on him.
In a motion obtained by Rolling Stone, prosecutors took aim at Oliver’s testimony, saying Gaulden had paid Oliver nearly $600,000 between January 4th and February 1st for “celebrity assistant” services. They argued the large sum of money “calls into question her suitability to serve as a quasi-custodian” for YoungBoy because challenging him “would risk her and her family losing a substantial financial pipeline.”
Prosecutors posed a similar conflict-of-interest argument related to the proposed security firm Bedrock, saying the company stood to earn $21,000 a week for its services. They also urged the court to discount the sympathetic testimony from Atlantic Records Chairwoman Julie Greenwald, saying her company “has more than a $2 million investment” in YoungBoy and intends to build him a home studio.
The court allowed the defense to respond Friday and ultimately ruled in Gaulden’s favor.
A federal grand jury indicted the “Outside Today” rapper in March, charging him with being a felon in possession of an unregistered Masterpiece Arms 9 mm and a .45 caliber Glock Model 21 pistol when he was arrested September 28th, 2020, by Baton Rouge police before jurisdiction in the case was transferred to federal officials.
YoungBoy’s lawyers claim he was the victim of a targeted “dragnet” involving a disputed 911 call about a group of people gathered outside his grandfather’s house shortly before his arrest. Less than two weeks after he was indicted, YoungBoy was arrested in Los Angeles and returned to Louisiana.
Findling said Gaulden agreed Tuesday to appear in court for future hearings in his Los Angeles and Baton Rouge cases.
Once out of custody, the 21-year-old streaming sensation is expected to continue making music at his home studio in Utah. His most recent album, Sincerely, Kentrell, became his fourth to hit Number One on the Billboard 200 chart and knocked Drake’s Certified Lover Boy out of the top spot last month with more than 186 million on-demand streams, according to Billboard.
Source: Read Full Article