DEAR DEIDRE: My parents treat me like a little kid – but I’m a 24-year-old man!

I’m a postgraduate student and still live at home because I can’t afford to move out.

For more advice from Dear Deidre

No issue is too small, too large or too embarrassing. Read our personal replies here.

  • Dear Deidre on Mental Health
  • Dear Deidre on Identity  
  • Dear Deidre on Debt and Money 
  • Dear Deidre on Work
  • Dear Deidre on Health and Wellbeing 
  • Dear Deidre on Addiction

But my mum and dad think that gives them the right to talk down to me and question every decision I make. 

It’s like they think I’m still 13.

They even disapprove of me going out with my friends, and if I do manage to go out, I’ll get a call saying “It’s time to come home now.” It’s so humiliating.

I’ve tried talking to them about this but they won’t listen.

Get in touch with Deidre

Every problem gets a personal reply, usually within 24 hours weekdays.

Send an email to [email protected]

You can also send a private message on the DearDeidreOfficial Facebook page.

My self-confidence is at an all-time low and I’m sick of being babied. 

What can I do? 

Most read in Dear Deidre


My husband talks dirty to other women in front of me


I'm worried my dad's cheating on my mum after a fishy text


I left my cheating ex but now I'm being stalked by one of his former flings


My husband's cocaine addiction left us in debt and ruined our marriage

DEIDRE SAYS: This isn’t a healthy relationship. Perhaps your parents think ‘Our rules, our house,’ but treating you like a child is not appropriate.

Talk to them again. My support pack, Standing up for yourself, should help. You need to draw boundaries.

If that’s not productive, then you need to think about moving out. Contact your Student Union welfare office and Shelter (

NEXT IN TODAY'S DEAR DEIDRE I get turned on by watching my partner have sex with other men

READ DEIDRE'S PHOTO CASEBOOK Mia searches for a Christmas present for Charlie while he visits his lover

GET IN TOUCH How the page works and how to contact us

    Source: Read Full Article